Lion Air aircraft crashed near Jakarta (first 737MAX hull loss)

A lion air plane has gone missing near Jakarta, it is a brand new 737MAX. Some reports of debris in the water are just coming in, but nothing confirmed yet. I’ll update this more in the morning, or any regulars can certainly do so…

Timeline (in your local time)

• October 29, 2018 12:20 AM (Europe: Paris), October 28, 2018 4:20 PM (America: Los Angeles), October 28, 2018 11:20 PM (Europe: London) - JT610 took off from Jakarta Soekarno Hatta International Airport (WIII/CGK)
  • October 29, 2018 12:33 AM (Europe: Paris), October 28, 2018 4:33 PM (America: Los Angeles), October 28, 2018 11:33 PM (Europe: London) - JT610 lost contact with Jakarta Air Traffic Controller
  • October 29, 2018 12:50 AM (Europe: Paris), October 28, 2018 4:50 PM (America: Los Angeles) - JATC (Jakarta Air Traffic Controller) contacted Lion Air Officials regarding the fate of the flight
  • October 29, 2018 1:20 AM (Europe: Paris), October 28, 2018 5:20 PM (America: Los Angeles), October 29, 2018 12:20 AM (Europe: London) - JT610 is scheduled to arrive at Pangkal Pinang Airport (WIPK/PGK)
  • October 29, 2018 3:00 AM (Europe: Paris), October 28, 2018 7:00 PM (America: Los Angeles) - JT610 is declared missing by local authorities
  • October 29, 2018 4:00 AM (Europe: Paris), October 28, 2018 8:00 PM (America: Los Angeles) - Indonesian SAR Team held a press conference
    October 29, 2018 4:10 AM (Europe: Paris), October 28, 2018 8:10 PM (America: Los Angeles) - first reports of debris

this is a very developing story, so new info may, or may not be confirmed

Yeah I just heard about this, scary eh?

It has been confirmed, the flight has crashed, here are some pictures, unknown survivors at this time…

Those pictures are of debris, as far as I can tell the hull has not been recovered yet. Likely no survivors unfortunately…

This is such a sad year for aviation

This video claims to be from the scene, of so, the plane has been completely destroyed…

There are some conflicting reports now weather it was a MAX, or a regular -800, both tragedy’s obviously, but it would be terrible to see a serious incident in such a new plane…

If it was a max 8, then it would be the first ever accident involving a new airliner, and the first hull loss of a brand new plane.

It’s like buying a new car and then crashing it afterwards.

Very sad year for aviation indeed

The aviation ministry there has confirmed it has crashed, and that it was the 737MAX with 189 people on board, 178 adults, 2 infants, 1 child, 2 pilots, and 6 FAs. They are still trying to find survivors. They also reported that the plane “requested a return to base before finally disappearing off radar”

Recommend a check to these links to see lots of information on the crash. Very sad

Odds of survivors are now extreamly small I fear, given that they havent found any yet, and the plane went down nearly 10 hours ago…

I think they have only confirmed 6 fatalities, but I highly doubt survivors

This is an unfortunate event. I found an interesting article that you can read more below. Its also sad that it was a fairly new airplane.

https://www.foxnews.com/world/indonesias-lion-air-says-its-lost-contact-with-airplane

I’d say extreamly. Just delivered in August

Wow. Only two months old.

As of now everyone is confirmed, or presumed dead. Best I can tell they are no longer looking for survivors. They have found the flight data recorder, and believe they have found the hull as well…

They have found the black box though so we should have an answer soon from the Indonesian NTSB

I still can’t believe this happened. Especially to a 2 month old MAX. I was first informed about this by a DJs Aviation notification. I was like No no no no no no this did NOT just happen!. Very sad. Good to hear that they’ve already located the black box though.

I feel like hearing about some of these crashes are unfortunately some of those moments I’ll rember for god knows how long…

Like I distinctively rember when my dad told me before my swim lesson that a plane had gone missing in Malaysia, and seeing a picture they were 90% sure was an oil slick from the plane on my dads old 3Gs. 9yr old me was just concerned about being late to a swim lesson, figured they would have found it by the eavning news. Sure as heck didn’t think I’d be sitting here 5+ yrs latter reminiscing on it, not knowing what happened…