Air New Zealand's New Long Haul Fleet

Air New Zealand Has Announced its new Long Haul Fleet at a Press Conference Today.

Air New Zealand has announced at a meeting on Monday they will replace their aging 777-200 Fleet with new B787-10 Aircraft. Air New Zealand CEO, Christopher Luxon, has announced that they will Firm Order 8 brand new 787-10 Dreamliners and have the option of up to 20, the new aircraft will be powered by GE Aviation’s GEnx-1B engines. At a cost of USD$1.4 Billion Dollars (NZD$4.12 Billion), this is one of the biggest Orders Air New Zealand has made for Newer Aircraft.
Airbus and Boeing have been battling it out for who will get Air New Zealand’s Pick. Airbus flew their A350 into Auckland, and Boeing relied on the past orders of the B787-9 Orders that Air New Zealand has made before. In the end, Boeing won out, however, Airbus was not out of the option in the future.

With their new Aircraft, CEO Christopher Luxon announced that they have “Ambitions” to Fly Auckland to New York with their brand new 787-10 Aircraft if that is going to be a Non-Stop or a Stopped Flight it is unclear at this time. However, this is a big step forward in Air New Zealand’s Future. This purchase comes just weeks after Air New Zealand announced a major overhaul of the airline.

The orders are slated for 2022, however, can be accelerated or pushed back based on demand.

Air New Zealand should bring those Dreamliners to SJC :smiley:

I think it would have a stopover at Los Angeles or Chicago. The 787-10 doesn’t have the range to fly from Auckland to New York non-stop. It covers about the same length as Perth to London which is operated by a 787-9, which has a higher range than the 787-10. I think they should do the route with the 787-9. Similar to how Qantas stops in LAX before continuing to NYC, Air New Zealand can stop in Chicago, then the continue to NYC. Maybe this is possible, maybe it isn’t. I’m no pilot so I know just as much as the next guy, but this is my take on this.

Glad to see Air New Zealand expand. :slight_smile:

Maybe they should serve Manchester, NH ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Serious though, it would be a VERY long flight if they did Auckland, NZ to New York, NY. A stopover in Los Angeles is more likely, like what qantas does (I think)

After reading a couple more articles they are looking at a non stop route with an extended range 787

How is it possible that a B789 can have a longer range than a B78X

The 787-9 has a longer range than the 787-8 and 787-10 as it has more fuel tanks, but still retains the same length wingtip.

• 787-8 | 7,355 nmi (13,620 km)

• 787-9 | 7,635 nmi (14,140 km)

• 787-10 | 6,430 nmi (11,910 km)

This information was brought from Boeing’s website. Let’s not forget that larger variations of the same aircraft family has less range due to more capacity and same wing span. The 777-9X has less range than the 777-8X, which has it has less capacity, so therefore flies farther.